Tuesday 4 August 2009

and we had a great time


When I decided to quit my job in ready for my course, the decision was made to enhance my summer and spend it with my son.
I had visions of us spending lazy days at the park with a picnic of delicious juicy fruits (to cool us down) and a football and maybe a kite on windy days.
What I didn't foresee was a wet summer...a very wet summer...am not a happy bunny.

We have spent days cutting, sticking, painting, making, baking, and watching dvd's...not the summer sun I had dreamt of, and I am very quickly running out of rainy day activities (all suggestions gratefully received).

Woooohoooo, yesterday was a very nice day, so with my husbands hard earned cash in hand we went to the brilliant Warwick castle.

We ALWAYS have a really great time there. We buy swords as soon as we can and in between shows we sword fight, my knuckles get bruised and I inevitably ask him a million times to be a bit more gentle with Mummy!

We saw golden eagles, vultures, a fire eating jester, 4 knights doing battle for the hand of the princess, he threw rats through a hoop, we saw 2 men trying to kill each other in sword to sword combats, we were entertained by an archer and we watched the worlds largest trebuchet do its thing at 150 mph!. The sun was shining and our smiles were broad.

Theo and I were also knighted. We had to do various swordsmanship and charge and stuff whilst wearing armoured helmets and having fits of giggles in the ahhhhhh of whacking the swords on the post (sure there is a more technical term but whacking it will do for me!) See the photo for Theo doing is whacking!!

This morning however was yet more bloody rain. I mean really, where is it all coming from? It's not as though we have had an amazing dry spell to warrant all the rain is it?

To add to my concerns about the weather, we are supposed to be camping this weekend at Bristol's hot air balloon fiesta. I don't mind camping when its raining, its the getting the tent up in the rain and everything getting wet before you've even begun. I have very attractive wellies which are very comfy and I think will be used a lot this weekend!!

So my question / thought for this entry is...how are you combating the rain boredom with your kids this "summer" holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment