Sunday 26 July 2009

an un-expected brilliant weekend



Un-expected because I fully expected to spend the weekend on the couch, I have badly bruised the ligaments and tendons holding my right knee cap in place (falling down concrete steps). This was done on Thursday.
Having had swine flu, I can not spend anymore time on my couch!

So with Theo at my parents house for the weekend and with NHS walking stick at my aid, Nathan and I set off for Warwick Folk Festival, my favourite past time was promptly embarked upon..rambling through on old book shop...I love the smell, the feeling and the stock!! Books were bought at extortionate prices, but a smile was playing on my face

We had a fine dinner at home (after the normal specified set time that a child dictates) and had a really nice, if somewhat painful, evening together.

Today we went back to Warwick for hmmmmm brunch. An anti pasta was had whilst watching morris dancers do their thing in the rain..hahaha..smug feeling, warm with coffee, good food and best of all, dry!!

Then we went to go and pick up Theo who was wired with tiredness. most people get grouchy or upset or just fall asleep when tired...not Theo, he goes into hyper mode.
Knowing that we had a "fun" afternoon and evening ahead of us, we decided on a pleasant nature walk.

Home for wet weather gear and our camera's, off we set.

When we set out it wasn't raining, just very windy.

It was the most relaxing walk EVER. We stopped and listed for the wind in the trees and compared it to the noise of waves breaking, we listened to the bird song, we looked at the tracks to see what we could make out in them - birds feet, dog paws, horse hoofs and different sized human treads.
We stopped in the bird watch den and saw a heron feeding.
It started to rain and it was simply glorious. Everything seemed do dive for shelter but the rain soaked leaves glistened and shone, the water hitting the river made ripples in the murky water.

I am a complete amateur photographer and do it for my very own pleasure, I used to take my camera everywhere when Nathan first bought it for me, but somehow I got out of the habit. But when you are intent on taking pictures of small little flowers and trying to get a good picture of the rain in the water...you do tend to see things that you wouldn't if you just went for a rambling walk (well I wouldn't anyway). (for some really excellent photography, please please go to http://www.chookooloonks.com/)

Having a bad knee I had to set the pace and it was a slow pace through the woods.
We got wet through, we got muddy and a little chilly, but we all had a really good nature walk and promised that as long as its not torrential rain, we would come out at least once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment