Monday 29 June 2009

my big fantastic thrill

At new years I gave myself lots of challenges for this year...some have been gratefully forgotten and the subject of those will never be raised again, and others I am facing the challenge head on.

For example, I said that I really wanted to "try" 3 new sports this year...so far, I have tried jogging / running...it hurt my poor knees, the second one was done this weekend. ANd the third has yet to be explored.

We have lived in our current abode for about 3 and a half years and when drive down the road we see sails...as in sailing boat sails. On this side of them there are allotments and on the other side is a river and a leisure centre. Countless times we have wondered where the heck are those boats sailing? We checked the river and no boats...weird.

We googled all sorts of weird and wacky words to try and find out, and in the end we came across a yacht company within the vicinity of where the sails were. So off we went for a walk one day to see if we could find it...nope...couldn't find a sailing club anywhere and short of climbing over someones garden fence we gave up.

We contacted the club and to get there is basically down an alley way between 2 houses!

So we signed up and became members of said club yesterday (Sunday) and had the best time.

I have probably mentioned my crap driving of a car, but I am a slow extremely cautious driver, but on the water I found that I am an absolute speed freak!!

A very nice gentleman took us out in his 3 man sailing boat and wow!!! You know how you see the crew sitting on the edge of the boat as its nearly tipping up?? never in a million years did I ever think that I would be doing that...too much of a scardy cat...but there I was sitting rather happily on the side of this boat asking the bloke to go faster!!!

Then it was my turn to take a little one man boat out...on my own...before yesterday I seriously didn't know one end of the boat from the other. The only way that I was brave enough to go out was if the safety boat followed me...how kind of another gentleman to do this..he was issuing me instructions and I have to say a massive thank you to all the people that we met yesterday at the club because my son, husband and I had the most amount of fun!!! loved it and can see me seriously getting into this sailing malarkey!!! and I am more than a little proud of myself!!!

so my thought / question for this entry is...what have you done recently that was both new and exciting???

No comments:

Post a Comment