Monday 9 March 2009

the power of music

I have started to increase my music genre of late and have incorporated some interesting music into my CD collection.

My most recent purchase was the "elbow" album which has some pretty good sounds on it.

This got me thinking....the power of music.

As many people's moods change with the weather or with situations they listen to different kinds of music. Some songs evoke memories, for me "summertime" by Will Smith is a good couple of years old now but always reminds me of when I was at school, forced to wear a black skirt and blazer with a tie and white shirt...I have a memory, much like a photograph of it being boiling hot, I'm at school chatting away with my dearest friend and setting the world to rights - sitting on the grass and thinking all I wanted to do was go home and have a shower and put on something less hot!!!

I am a massive Beatles fan and when I think of the collection of albums I have, I am again transported back to school, its my 16th birthday and another friend of mine has taped (remember the tape??) all of her dad's collection of Beatles albums for me...this was the best present ever!!

So for me and music we have our history...when I am in foul mood I put on something like Mika or Duffy that I can have a good old sing along to or if I am in a lovy dovy mood I'll put on something like Nina Simone - good lord I love that woman.
If I am studying I tend to put on classic - I know nothing of classical music by I have a National Trust CD with some nice flowing tunes of it. Oaisis kicks ass when house cleaning!!

I grew up on the Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Ozzy Osborne, The Who - to name but a few. My dad had a whole heap of original records, some limited editions, and my brother and I would always argue about who dad was going to leave them to in his will. Anyway, a couple of years ago we were round my parents house and the fairly light hearted row started again...my dad looked at both of us and said in a laughy sort of way "you two can keep going if you want but all of the records went in a skip about 2 years ago"....you do not know how much my brother and I were mortified for or how long we just sat there looking at dad waiting for the comprehension to come....gone, in a skip, just like that, none left, to be replaced with frinkin CD's - what in the name of god was he thinking.
If you were to stack all of the records up they would have towered to about 3 foot high - all in mint condition (we were never allowed to go near them as kids), not a scratch on them or a dog ear on the sleeve - GONE....imagine how much they would have been worth?? the memory or my dad sitting of the floor very carfully taking out a vinyl from its sleve and as though it were made of the most precious metal sit it onto the record player and with the steadiest hands put the pin onto the record - and he threw them into a skip....mental

So for me music is a welcome relationship but one that I explore with trepidation - ever bought an alum on the back of hearing one song, got the thing home and after listening to it thought this is a pile of poo??? hmmm done it many times!!!

With the weather being as sunny as it is today, I have to play (and please have it in mind that I never remember song titles) "got my hands, got my arms etc I got my freedoooooommmmmm - I got liifffeeeee" my the wonderful Nina Simone.

A song that would best describe me is by the Beatles and its "Don't pass me by" on the white album sung by Ringo - told you I was a fan!!

So my thought for this entry is - whats you song for the day and is there a song that sums you up??
(right now I am listening to T-Rex, best of)

3 comments:

  1. Its funny you should write about this. I just cam eback from visiting my mum - armed with all her old LP's and Singles!! My record player will be busy reminding me of my childhood. Motown, Kate Bush, Prince, Rod Stewart, Eurythmics to name a few. Oh yes and a few Beatles Singles!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe that you dad skipped you records! I would have disowned mine if he'd done that. Records are personal. They're emotional. They're necessary. Being without them is like having your teenage years cut clean out of your memory bank. No no no!

    For me any early 80's record automatically evokes a feeling of newness, of excitement and burgeoning wonder at the great big world... before I hit my late teens and assumed a cycnicism that would sink a humungous iceberg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa - put the records on and dance till your giddy!!!

    Steve - you've hit the nail on the head again my friend, music is personal and no one should scoff at anyone elses collection - no matter how amusing

    ReplyDelete