Friday 24 April 2009

some very exciting gossip

Hello my dear friends...I am one excited little bunny!!!

As some of you may know, I don't excel in my job as much as I would like..oh I am good at it and know what I am doing and all that. I Love just talking to people and getting to know them, in my job I can't do this as much as I would like / enjoy.

So with much trepidation I set about putting this matter right...what job could I truly fulfill myself in, one where I could ask questions and poke my nose into other people's business...hmmm hairdresser or something like that???
Then I got chatting with a very dear friend of mine about this conundrum and she light heartedly said...journalism...and so the seed was planted.

I have wanted to be a journalist for as long as I have been old enough to think about jobs in a serious light (not ballarena)...I remember babysitting for my neice when I was about 13ish and looking through a magazine thinking "ooohhh I could wear that when I get a hot new scoop"...but as I wasn't the most accademic person in the world so I never persued this.

I am lucky enough that my very local college runs a journalsim course and its the best course one could go on if one wanted to be a journalist...its run by the NCTJ (national council for trainee journalists).

Me being me, I never thought for a moment that I would get an interview for the course as the application form in itself was pretty long!!! But I did, so off I went with my heart in mouth and I took the interview - 4 hours later and I really thought that I had completely ballsed the whole thing up.
I started to wonder if I could devote that much time to a course / am I too old and will all the others be school leavers making me feel even older / what if I got half way through and the work load was simply too much for me to handle / am I a good enough writer / what if my 'need to survive' love of news wasn't enough???
That was what was going through my mind from the Tuesday when I took the interview / exam until Friday when the gentleman said he was going to call.

I sat on the edge of my seat for the whole of the Friday, every time the phone rang I gulped and thought this is it....it wasn't until 5pm that he called (yes, very long day) he asked how I was and I answered "ask me at the end of the call!", he then told me what a pleasure it was meeting me and what my score in the test was etc etc...this went on for about 5 minutes when I had to say "please, just tell me if I have got onto the course"...he told me I had and I have never felt so proud of myself...I had done it...little me gonna be a bonafidda journalist..who'd have thought!!! I was then able to answer his initial question and told him I was fantastic thank you very much!!

I haven't been able to say anything as I hadn't told my boss, she has been the best boss I have ever had..she is always there for a cuppa and a gossip, gives critism in a way so that you don't feel too crappy about it and is always a shoulder to cry on...so with a heavy heart I told her my intentions today.
My last day will be July 13th as the school holidays start the day after and I really want to spend the summer with my son.

So that's it folks..little old me did it - my advise here is never ever listen to a school careers officer as they generally talk out their arses!!!

I am ever sooo excited and now feel as though I can celebrate.

My thought / question for this blog is what have you done in your life that people or yourself thought you couldn't do but you made a success of / did it anyway????

2 comments:

  1. Big big congratulations! Run with it and take it as far as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much Steve, those kind words mean more than you will know!

    ReplyDelete