Thursday 30 April 2009

love Thursday - to my son



Despite being on a high with life recently I have been a tad harsh on my boy, I think slightly hormonal??

You see I haven't been a very good mother this past week and I think I have been a nagging / shouting / he can't do a damn thing right kind of mummy.

For instance, I hate and loath the way he just says yeah instead of yes or lile instead of little...it grates on me when he drops sounds from his vocabulary.
He just drops clothes on the floor instead of putting them where they should go...things like that. But the thing is he is just 5 years old and sometimes, because the child is soooo smart, I forget this.

But, whenever I go overboard on trying to keep him from doing something dumb and shout at him, straight away he just goes back to being his normal cheerful self without holding a grudge.

When I say cheerful self, I feel I ought to explain....the child is hardly ever grumpy and only gets grumpy when he is tired or really really doesn't want to do something. From the moment he wakes up till the moment he goes to bed he is full of energy and life, into everything and is like a little sponge waiting to soak up all the experiences he can.

As an adult, if someone says the wrong thing, or shouts at you for seemingly the smallest thing you get pissed off at that person and will probably react in a stoney silence with them or shout back or anything horrid like that...right?

But with my son, if someone (like me) tells him off he doesn't always necessarily take it on board but he doesn't do the destructive behaviour that adults do, he just treats the person as though nothing happened...or says sorry...he is quick to tell me if he has done something wrong as I have a rule (which is sometimes very hard to keep) that if he tells me what he has done he will not get told off...sometimes if he has friends over he is very quick to tell on them which is slightly worrying for future reference but right now..he is just 5 and cannot distinguish between telling me sonething he has done or telling on someone else.

I envy my 5 year old child. He moves through life without a bad word to say about anyone, he cares for people and their feelings, he tells the worst jokes EVER and is always telling me I look beautiful.
He loves to play at being a super hero or at being Harry Potter and if he is playing at being someone I am not allowed to call him by his name I have to call him by the person he is being. It's so fulfilling seeing him grow and develop and his hunger for knowledge and the ever boring questions "what's that for, what's it do and am I old enough for that yet".
Sometimes as an adult you can get complacent with experiences you can just do like go white water rafting or surfing lessons and it's such fun seeing him want to do this sort of thing (takes after his Daddy in that respect).

He has sooo many facets to his personality of which I would love to take credit for but I think at the end of the day, he's just Theodore.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes he can be a little bugger...but can't they all???

So this is for my son, ever quick to give me cuddles or "sugar" as one of my friends calls it...the every playful boy who I shed a proud tear for and can say "he's my boy".

Please leave your links to your love Thursday or just tell me what you have loved this past week.

5 comments:

  1. happy love thursday! I love your son's spirit. Can't sweat the small stuff, as the saying goes. My daughter is happy go lucky as well.

    Thanks for visiting my Necessary Room blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy love thursday!! remember, with a boy like that, you must pick your battles. save your frustration for the big things and roll with the small. he is a gorgeous boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for your lovely comments.
    I just read this to my son and he says that no matter what he will love me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah - know where you're coming from exactly. Our two boys are lovely but some days they get the wrong end of my grumps when they don't really at all deserve it (well, not much). Your boy looks a cutey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your son has the right attitude! Happy Love Thursday!

    ReplyDelete