Thursday 1 January 2009

more to do with resolutions

Having wished friends happy new year and talking about a new fresh leaf of a year, we got talking and laughing about New Years resolutions, and it got me thinking......

I googled new years resolutions and in and amongst the crap I tried to find where they began.
At this point I think it would be fair to make my opinion known....I am thinking that a Mr/Mrs Perfect decided that the crap people that they knew should need a kick up the gluteus maximus so came up with an ingenius plan "ah" said perfect "I think I will make them decided what they want to achieve and then make them declare it on the first day of each year, thus setting themselves up for a fall". Lets face it, most of us are expert in the field of procrastination, but having made a New Years resolution, we feel duty bound to comform with the notion that we must carry out this oath of losing weight / quiting smoking / being better at..... but then half way through the first month it all goes a wee bit pair shaped!!!! - madness

So anyway, with this in mind I decided to try and find out where this tradition started, fully expecting it to have started around the 18 hundreds or something... so anyway....and heres the deal.... it all started whey back in the Babylonian period, around 2000BC where their New Years resolution was to give back borrowed items!!!!.

So, in this case, I think it fitting that I continue with this tradition, but maybe add one more Resoltuion and that is not to break my resolutions!!??!!??

So, again, what are your New Years resolutions and I add a further question of, which ones do you fully expect to last and which ones to you kind of think are maybe a bit too much but are willing to give a try anyway??

No comments:

Post a Comment